Revision to the top hull section

After printing the first version of the latest design (V.04), I realized that it would be more convenient to mount all of the electronics to the underside of the lid rather than to the bottom half of the hull. This would make assembly and disassembly for maintenance much easier and keep the tangle of wires to a minimum. Below is the more recent concept idea, where the microcontroller and sensors all mount to the underside using posts and screws. This will also create a structural connection point to mount the antennas and xbee radio.

IMG_4665

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “Revision to the top hull section

  1. I was wondering to develop a project like this. I hope I can begin it in some months. Congratulations for the amazing project! Keep telling us the news about it.

  2. Hello Nick,
    Thank you for your posting. It takes people like you to make the World go round.
    I am involved in a group lobbying for federal recreational boating legislation in Canada. Boats make waves eroding shorelines and the jets from their propulsion systems stirr up bottom sediments. We need to monitor in order to assess the present situation, measure the efficiency of changes and potentially help with enforcement.
    Your buoy is most complete, implementing just about all of the sensing requirements one could possibly imagine for ocean monitoring. On lakes and inland waterways, our needs are much simpler; wave height and energy is all we would need to monitor and the position would be fixed (anchored). We could also measure and monitor water turbidity that we could later associate with wave events and boating activity. The Xbee communication with the shore would be nice, but data logging with occasional wireless data dumps from a nearby boat would be fantastic.
    Please let us know a bit more about code for your project in order to help us to develop ours.
    As an industrial designer I most appreciate what you have done, both from an enginneeing and an aesthetic standpoint. I am also very impressed with the compact size as compared with the professional ones that measure 1 meter in diameter typically. Bravo! Top notch job!
    Paul
    Contributer to the Coalition for Sustainable and Responsible Navigation

    • Hello Paul,

      Thank you very much for the comment. Your project sounds very interesting and I would enjoy hearing about your findings once you get some if the initial data. This sounds like the perfect application for small anchored buoys and wireless monitoring with data logging.

      I would like to help if I can, however the code is still under development and while the buoy and sensors have been prototyped we have yet to get a fully working design up and running. This is primarily due to a lack of free time, as the electronics and arduino all interface rather easily together thanks to opensource libraries and the I2C or SPI protocols. The general framework for the code it to have the arduino in sleep mode most of the time (to conserve battery life) and then wake up at a predetermined interval and take readings from all the onboard sensors. The data would then be stored in SRAM and saved locally to a backup SD card (which could then be accessed once the buoy was returned to shore) until the end of the day when the arduino packages all the data together and sends it out via GSM. The problem is that SRAM is limited on the arduino, so perhaps we could use a Mega. We found that the DUE has issues at the moment with using I2C libraries due to a hardware issue (I think…) so the memory and battery life are the two pressing issues at this time. Depending on your budget, I have seen LEDs used as a DIY turbidity sensor which basically shine three colors into the water and then a sensor reads how much light is reflected back. More particles suspended in the water would reflect back more light, in theory at least.

      I hope that help, please let me know if you have more questions. Best of luck, and thanks agian for the kudos.

  3. Hi,
    This is an interesting project. I had originally wanted to do something like this last year, but got side tracked when i went back to school. I’m predominately interested in chlorophyll and have seen several papers on how to do a diy version. So strapping that on the bottom would be appealing. Cant wait to see where this goes.
    Keep up the good work

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s